Friday 23 May 2008

Designer interview - fable*handmade Jennifer Fletcher

Today's post is a new departure for chaincreative. An occasional series of designer interview that will hopefully give insights into the inspiration and motivations of the designers we feature on the blog. As a designer and teacher, I know how interesting and enlightening it is to hear how others approach their work and fulfill their potential.

So!!! Big fanfare!! The first

Chain Creative Interview
Questions of creativity and inspiration
Your name
Jennifer Fletcher
Where you’re from
California, USA
Website
www.fablehandmadegoods.com
Blog address
www.thefabledneedle.blogspot.com
Describe your various creative skills.
Designing crochet patterns, sewing, painting, drawing, sculpting, jewelry making, costume design
I love the name of the website and blog! What was the inspiration behind them?
Fairytales have influenced me, creatively and as a person, for as long as I can remember. I’ve always loved a good story or fable, one with magic and wonder. I hope that is reflected in my work.
What was the motivation to start the business?
Despite whatever job I had or whatever was happening in my life, I was always making things. A lot of the time I was making gifts for friends and they were always urging me to sell my work.
What influences your style and output? What are your inspirations?
Fairytales as I said before, along with myths, legends and other related things. I also love children’s books, literature, nature, fashion, artists like Dulac and Rackham…there’s definitely a theme!
What are the most important aspects of your work to you?
Thoughtfulness. I really want to create things that are unique, that have my “stamp” on them. I’m not interested in cranking out stuff just because I think they would sell. I think I appeal to a specific niche and that’s a good thing to me.
Which project or piece of work are you most proud of?
Hmmm…it’s hard to narrow things down but as far as crochet is concerned, I think the Sweet Magnolia Scarflette is still one of my favorites. It’s the design that kind of started the whole business. When I created it, I had never heard of a crocheted magnolia or a flower scarf that was as intricate and dimensional as this one. So, I guess I’m proud I came up with it!
When are you most happy when you’re working?
I’m an idea machine. I mean, they are literally falling out of my ears at all times and I spend a lot of energy trying to stuff them back in. I sometimes wish I could clone myself so I can bring a lot of my ideas to life! But like they say, ideas are a dime a dozen and little is more satisfying than creating something in real life. And then getting a response – I love it so when people tell me how much they adore my patterns – and unsolicited! Well, I guess that’s a very roundabout way of saying there isn’t just one thing I love about doing my own thing.
Thank you so much Jenn for your time to answer our questions. We love your work and look forward to featuring you again in the near future!
I was really pushed to know which pictures to feature from Jenn's flikr photostream but the ones I chose, I think, sum up her style.

No comments: